2018 Legislative Agenda
The following is a list of priorities for TOSS during the upcoming legislative session that we believe will best service public education in Tennessee.
TOSS is opposed to the previous passing of Public Chapter No. 680, which requires the A-F grading of public schools. We will continue to support legislation to amend this law in order to create more transparency, such as House Bill 449 and Senate Bill 536.
TOSS is opposed to any legislative effort that would allow for superintendents to be popularly elected in the state of Tennessee, rather than appointed by districts' elected school boards.
TOSS will continue to oppose any legislation that would use public funds to sponsor private school vouchers, whether that be in the form of an amendment to the existing Individualized Education Account (IEA) or new legislation.
assessments (Grades 3-8):
TOSS supports local control in deciding how to factor TNReady scores into students’ grades, with the parameters below:
- In grades 3-5, TNReady scores can be weighted as 0-25% of a student’s grade.
- In grades 6-8, TNReady scores can be weighted as 10-25% of a student’s grade.
- If local districts do not have TNReady at least five instruction days before the last day for students, they have the option to exclude that data from students’ grades.
assessments (Grades 9-12):
TOSS supports the State Board of Education policy declaring that an LEA may choose not to include its students’ End of Course exam scores in the students’ final course grade if the LEA does not receive those scores at least five instructional days before the scheduled end of the course.
TOSS supports legislation that increases BEP funding to allow for more positions for school counselors, RTI2 instructors, and school nurses.
TOSS also supports the BEP Review Committee’s recommendations regarding these funding increases.
· Funding the number of school counselors at a ratio of 1:250.
· Funding the number of school nurses at a ratio of 1:750.
· Funding the number of RTI2 instructors at a ratio of 1:1,000.